Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Another year older..

Yesterday, I celebrated my 26th birthday.
Photo Cred: Sending Sunshine

And it was actually one of the best birthdays I've had. Ever.

Of course last year's was wonderful - my mother threw a dinner party with significant people from throughout my life (including babysitters and whatnot) invited to attend. 25 years is an accomplishment, I guess!

The 25th Birthday Desserts (and Spirits!) Spread
And then there was my 21st birthday, when my beloved roommates decided to take me to see the Chippendales. Except for I wasn't quite 21. And I couldn't have a drink to get me through what was perhaps the most uncomfortable couple of hours of my life. I think taking me to that was more for them to see the look on my face at the sight of the dancers. I'm pretty sure I turned every shade of red possible.

Nope, not quite the same thing as a Chippendale.
But yesterday was the first birthday of what will promise to be many that are spent several hundred miles away from my family. Even in my college days, I was only an hour and a half away from home so my parents made frequent trips to see me and vice versa.

But now I'm about 10 and a half hours away from home (though it took me 12.5 to drive home at Thanksgiving with stops), so there would be no family to celebrate 26 years with me on my special day.

But that didn't stop Mom and Dad from their ritual of calling me at 8:29AM, my birth time, to be the first to wish me a Happy Birthday on my actual birthday, down to the minute. And I even was serenaded with an every-other-note Happy Birthday song (and if you know my parents - they're actually quite good singers - so it was ever so loverly!)

I received many a text message, Twitter greeting, and Facebook wishes. People sent cards. My brother and sister-in-law sent me back to Smalltown, USA with a gift that I was instructed not to open until the day of my birthday - and my discipline kicked in as I waited 9 days, staring at a beautifully wrapped gift!

And, thanks to great friends in Smalltown, I was not alone celebrating my 26 years. In fact, I was FAR from it. I had lunch and dinner over the weekend with friends, and then a really quite perfect birthday evening followed by a day-after-birthday lunch with Organist Friend whom I haven't seen in ages. I really couldn't ask for more.

So for all these things, I am eternally grateful. Thank heavens for great friends who practically are family. I don't think any of them will really know just how much they mean to me!

And, the first full day of being 26 has been really great. Maybe this will be my year!

No comments:

Post a Comment