Thursday, December 29, 2011

2011: The Year in Review

I usually do this on Facebook, and I may still, but I figured the blog might be a good place for a year-end review as well!

So without further ado... 2011 at a glance...

1. What did you do in 2011 that you’ve never done before?
Sing and cantor at my Church in Another Smalltown for my brother's wedding; own a smartphone.
Ooo pretty.
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Yes, sort of. It's usually the same - exercise more, lose weight, be happier.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Piper Margaret (Piper) was born in January, Bentley Stewart (Bentley) was born in June, and Daniel James (Danny) was born in October. I "stalk" all of these babies on Facebook; not to worry, their the children of my friends so that makes it okay. Plus, Danny's mom has appointed me the President of his 2-year old brother Mikey's fan club so... it makes it even more legit, right?

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Dr. Biggs - Requiescat in Pace.

5. What countries did you visit?
I stayed in the United States of America this year.

6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
A full-time job maybe? And less loneliness.

7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
June 25 - my brother's wedding. December 12 - my 26th birthday (see #25).

 8. What’s your biggest achievement of the year?
Successfully passing comprehensive exams... so I'm practically ABD at this point.

9. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I slipped on leaves in October and had a slight sprain to my wrist but nothing more major than that...

10. What’s the best thing you bought?
A pair of comfy sweatpants. Nothing like the comfort of some ill-fitting clothes that makes you all warm and cozy.

11. Where did most of your money go?
Car payments and rent. Boo.

12. What did you get really, really excited about?
Attending the Catholic New Media Conference in Kansas City

13. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Nicki Minaj's Super Bass

14. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder? Richer or poorer? Thinner or fatter?
Happier, poorer, and thinner... whoop whoop!

15. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Spending time with the people who mean the most

16. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Worrying and working. I feel like I'm always working.

17. How did you spend Christmas?
Annual Christmas Eve Drop-in, Watching The Sound of Music, Sleep, Seeing Santa’s gifts Christmas morning, Mass at 10AM, Christmas dinner, Opening gifts with family, and a long winter's nap followed by Baby Jesus birthday party, watching football with family, and teaching everyone how to play Words with Friends
Coooookies.
18. Did you fall in love in 2011?
Negative. Maybe in 2012... hopefully before the world ends.

19. What was your favorite TV program?
I've really started to get into How I Met Your Mother - but I'm starting from the beginning. So I'm only like, 7 years behind.
Good show.
20. What was the best book you read?
The Happiness Project - it's like Gretchen Rubin is writing about me, even though she's writing about herself.
Good book.
21. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Michael Buble's Christmas album

22. What did you want and get?
So many things. I am incredibly blessed.

23. What did you want and not get?
I'm adopting this attitude that if I don't get it, then I don't really need it. And therefore shouldn't want it. (Easier said than done though... I'm taking this outlook one day at a time!)

24. What was your favorite film of this year?
Bridesmaids, hands down. 
Good movie.
Although I also REALLY liked We Bought a Zoo.
Another good movie.
25. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 26 and a really great friend took me to city-close-by for an afternoon and evening full of some of my favorite things: First shopping, then an incredible Italian dinner, a trip to an amazing half-priced bookstore, dessert, coffee, all the while viewing displays of Christmas lights along the way. It was really a perfect birthday!
(If he happens to read this... thank you so much, again.)

And I went to lunch with Organist-Friend the next day. And she gave me a SWEET BLANKIE!

26. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Less worrying and taking more action in my life

27. How would you describe your personal fashion concept for 2011?
I think it got better. More snazzy. People have noticed.

28. What kept you sane?
Going to Confession more often. No joke. And having friends who will listen to me rant. Thanks guys!

29. What celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I still love my George Clooney. 13 years strong. I'm probably one of his longest relationships. Heh.
Be still my heart.
30. What political issue stirred you the most?
oy... let's not get started...

31. Who did you miss?
Friends and family in SC

32. Who was the best new person you met?
Priest-Friend; I technically met him in 2010, but didn't get to know him until he moved to Smalltown, USA in July

33. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
"Gentleness, patience, joy. Gentleness, patience, joy. Gentleness, patience, joy... Give Me these three things in your external life - in  your judgments - your thoughts - in your feelings. Gentleness is the fruit of Love. Patience is the fruit of Faith. Joy is the fruit of Hope.When these alone fill your heart, I will reign in it as King." -Our Lord to Sister Mary of the Holy Trinity

No comments:

Post a Comment